Dr. Sophie Lorn provides you with natural primary care as a Naturopathic doctor.
A distinct, primary health care profession, Naturopaths take a natural approach that emphasizes a holistic, self-empowering approach. Naturopathic doctors provide medical care with an emphasis on prevention, whole body wellness, optimal health, and combining modern science with traditional natural medicine. They encourage the body’s own self-healing process.
Naturopathic doctors, also referred to as ND’s, undergo rigorous training through an accredited four-year doctoral program. They can do everything your primary care doctor would do including labs, imaging, prescribing medications, referring you to specialists, and thorough medical examinations.
They go beyond the basic medical sciences and conventional diagnostics to also include:
- Therapeutic nutrition
- Herbal medicine
- Physical medicine
- Pharmacology and minor surgery
Each ND goes through over 1,000 hours of clinical training. They must also pass two medical board exams, and are medically licensed by the state.
In the state of California, Naturopathic doctors are licensed primary care providers, and may diagnose illness using the same methods used in conventional medicine.
However, they bring an added dimension and take an approach of developing individualized treatment plans with the least invasive options possible while getting you the greatest result. They consider your whole history, and tend to listen more, help you better understand your condition and treatments, and provide more time in your appointment to talk with your doctor.
Naturopathic Doctors operate under the following principles:
1. First Do No Harm – Naturopath’s use methods and medicinal products that minimize the risk of harmful side effects, using the least invasive tools necessary to diagnose and treat. We avoid, when possible, the harmful suppression of symptoms and we acknowledge, respect and work with the individual’s self-healing process.
2. The Healing Power of Nature– Naturopathic medicine recognizes an inherent self-healing process in people that is ordered and intelligent. Naturopathic physicians act to identify and remove obstacles to healing and recovery, and to facilitate and augment this inherent self-healing process. Discover and Treat the Cause, Not just the effect
3. Treat the whole person – Naturopathic physicians treat each patient by taking into account individual physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, social and other factors. Since total health also includes spiritual health, naturopathic physicians encourage individuals to pursue their personal spiritual development.
4. Identify and treat the cause— The naturopathic physician seeks to identify and remove the underlying causes of illness rather than to merely eliminate or suppress symptoms.
5. The physician is a teacher – We educate our patients and encourage self-responsibility for health.We also recognize and employ the therapeutic potential of the doctor-patient relationship.
6. Prevention is the best “cure” – We emphasize the prevention of disease by assessing risk factors, heredity and susceptibility to disease, and by making appropriate interventions in partnership with their patients to prevent illness.
Source: American Association of Naturopathic Physicians & Washington Association of Naturopathic Physicians
Get a Guiding Hand...
Discover the small things you can do to feel better with each day.
The Latest from Dr. Sophie Lorn
Naturopathic medicine has been around for centuries and this field of medicine has experienced a resurgence in the last several decades. It’s now considered a viable form of healthcare in many parts of the country. Although this form of medicine has been around for...
I’ve always viewed life as an interesting interplay of poetry and prose, of free will and exquisite synchronicity. And by no means is my own life an exception. My journey to the field of Naturopathic medicine has been unexpected, but at the end of the day I cannot...
Dr. Sophie Lorn has a passion for helping others achieve their best life possible, and that starts with great health! She will be sharing her best advice for living well throughout your life using natural approaches and ways to easily integrate wellness practices into...